Thursday, February 10, 2011

PBS - When Did They Get Teachers on Staff?


I recently saw a post on on the blog Free Technology for Teachers about a teacher using a clip from PBS in his classroom.  Not only that, but the PBS website included enrichment activities for teachers to use with students in connection with the video.  I had no idea this was available!

I have a vast library of DVD recordings I've made of shows on The History Channel and TLC.  Most of them are about American holidays - the history of Thanksgiving or the biography of Santa Claus.  I have just started watching PBS shows, just for my own enjoyment.  But this entire resource is something I was clueless about.

I think it's great that they not only make the shows available for use in the classroom, but the break them up, so you don't have to try and fast forward to a certain spot.  Additionally, they have someone who is clearly in education develop activities that build on the information presented.  What a time saver!  And it's always nice to present information to students in a voice other than your own.  Sometimes I think they start to tune out when they hear us begin to talk.  :D  They usually enjoy videos, though.

Richard Byrne, the blogger who wrote this post, indicated, the activity wasn't appropriate for the age level he teaches.  It's probably that activities suggested will not always fit one's specific group of students, BUT those activities can be modified.  Or those activities can be the basis for some other activity the teacher develops on his or her own.

I was just really pleased to see that there was this resource out there.  I can easily picture myself making extensive use of it in my classroom as long as I can find items that support what I am teaching.

1 comment:

Maryanne said...

The number of sites now available for teachers is truly amazing and often overwhelming. That's why it is important to have a good personal learning network through which to learn and share. That way we can cut down on time wasted searching for good resources.